To tantalize a crowd, try your hand at baking a super-sized cupcake. Giant cupcake pans are molded with two sections - a pleated bottom that resembles a cupcake liner and a swirled top. If you're using one for the first time, here are a few pointers:
- When preparing cupcakes from a mix, you'll need more than one box. Mix up batter for two boxes, and use the leftovers to make a batch of regular-sized cupcakes.
- The bottom of the pan tends to bake more slowly than the top. To ensure even baking, fill the bottom first and bake for 15-20 minutes, and then add the batter to the top.
- Filled cupcakes are a cinch to make with a giant pan - simply hollow out the bottom, add the sweet filling of your choice, and then cover the top with a thin layer of icing and decorate.
- Always cool thoroughly before attempting to remove the cake, and be sure to coat the interior generously with baking spray before adding batter.
- For added variety, make the top and bottom using different flavors.
Another great way to make an oversized statement with cupcakes is to prepare a cupcake cake. Tightly space cupcakes on a large platter or serving tray, and then ice them as if you were frosting a sheet cake. To serve, simply reach in and pull out the next cupcake in line, and the icing will follow.
With so many fantastic cupcake recipes, frostings, and decorations to choose from, pleasing your party crowd couldn't be easier. All cupcakes irregardless of size, are sure to bring sweet smiles to the faces of those who enjoy eating them.